Monday, July 1, 2019

Day 3: Cherry Valley NY to Cayuga NY

I got to test out my rain gear. When I went to South America I worried a lot about this, and had a really nice Gore-Text suit with zippered lets and all. It was svelte and a bit heavy, but did come in handy in places like Peru where rain and cold (at altitude) go hand in hand. For this trip I didn't think I would use it, as it is usually too hot to want to put something else on top - usually easier to hide under a tree or just get wet. So I bought a light rain suit for $15.

But after starting out so hot on Friday, today (well yesterday really as I was too tired last night to write) started out pretty chilly, and the rain made it that much more so. Bottom line, the cheap rain suit worked, though it is not terribly elegant to look at. Unfortunately I did't want to try to do a selfie in the rain, so no pictures.

The riding was hard, the incessant ups and downs on Route 20 are difficult and slow. The downhills are too steep to just let go and are a real test of the brakes. More than once I stopped to pour water on mine (they are disk brakes) only to hear it snap and fizzle as the water boiled away.

Still, there are some upsides to big hills.

Looking down near Cardiff NY
 The picture does not do it justice, one of the problems with trying to snap a shot in full sun with only a guess as to what is showing on the screen.

This spot, curiously, was just after a sign announcing that the scenic portion of Route 20 had just ended. I am not sure who made that determination.

On the road

Going to take it easier today and work on eating more.

June 20, 2019, Cayuga NY

No comments:

Post a Comment