Sunday, July 7, 2019

Day 10: Shadeland IN to Clinton IL

Clinton has an IGA Foodmaster - and that may be its main claim to fame. It is actually in a pretty nice part of Illinois - its namesake Clinton Lake seems very nice - though I only saw it in passing. But the town, rather than making the most of its geography, seems bent of making it all seem clumsy with railroad, streams and hills just making a mishmash.

Oh well, I didn't really set out to bash Clinton. Everyone I have met here has been nice, it is just I walked from the motel to the IGA and there are no sidewalks. Impressions.

Today was pretty cool for the most part, which has been a nice change. Rain threatened on and off, but never happened and the winds were largely with me. So I did a little bit better in terms of distance, but those 140 mile days I remember from this part of the country are not to be repeated. I will have to accept the new me is not the old me but just older.
Breakfast, never travel without donuts
I didn't feel so bad in the morning (except my butt which is still pretty tender every day), thanks to proper fueling - donuts are my new friend.

Made it to Illinois, and one of the first things I was was  big square bails of hay all stacked up. I guess they may be easier to truck, but building forts?
Got hay? 
 I spent a fair bit of time of US 320 today. It cuts straight across the state - and boy do I mean straight.
This isn't Kansas
I finally veered off to head to Clinton, and the promise of a shower.

Wifi here sucks so I am still tethered - but the Verizon LTE connection is strong, just not strong enought to revisit history.

July 7, 2019, Clinton IL




No comments:

Post a Comment