Sunday, July 14, 2019

Day 17: Pratt KS to Plains KS

I have almost finished my traversal of Kansas. Three days with a tailwind. Lucky for me or I would not have gotten across so quickly. I travel facing no obstacles, with roses scattered in my path.

The morning dawned clear, and actually a bit chilly. I even considered putting on long sleeves, but soon found myself sweating despite the chill so didn't. The little hills of Kansas were finally turning into plains:
The grain elevator marking the next town
Each town is marked by a grain elevator next to a railway. This is very much like Alberta, where I grew up, so I felt at home.

Not too much to tell about the plains. I did see an airport:

Gail Ballard Airport, Haviland, KS SN63
Not sure that you would find it on Orbitz though, and I didn't see any planes.

I did run into and chat with another cyclist. He was in the process of trying to lighten his bike and had just mailed home his sleeping bag. I was pretty loaded down compared to him, but I guess I just like the security of having things in just in case. Check out his youtube channel if you are interested.

So, not to imply that Kansas is boring or anything, but the day ended more or less like it started, except this time the grain elevator was for my destination.

Plains, KS in the distance
This picture is the second one I took. The first was from more than a mile earlier, but you can't make out the grain elevator in the photo without losing the effect - you can see for miles and miles!

July 14, 2019, Plains Kansas



sss

No comments:

Post a Comment