Friday, July 12, 2019

Day 15: Fort Scott KS to El Dorado KS




 So today was over 120 miles - but I had a tail wind so it feel like cheating. I also wanted to end an hour and a half earlier, but I was in the middle of no place.

I called Fort Scott a hard town. And not far out of it I saw this:
Morning in Kansas
It is not just the town that is hard.

But overall the day was pretty nice. I am only 30 miles from Wichita and still seeing scenery like this:


The hills of Kansas
Not quite as majestic in the photo as it was in real life. The sky is big, and you can see a long way (like water towers 8 miles in the distance), the hills are low, but still hard to climb at times.

I saw the funniest sign, telling me it was 8 miles to Gas and 12 to Eureka. So why was it telling me about Gas?
Got Gas?
Turns out there is a Gas Kansas. What do people from Gas do? Probably make jokes about being from Gas when they are not eating beans.

I also chanced to stop at a gas station where they keep a log of people passing through on bike. Quite a few - one every day or two if I am to believe the log, and going in both directions. I have only seen 2 other people on bicycle. A couple who were moving slow pulling wagons, and a fellow who had a tire problem but didn't know what size his tires were - my patience has limits and I had nothing in his size. Anyway they are out there, just stealth. I also got a memento:
Lizard luck
Not sure what it means, but it seems cool.

One flat tire - but it may have been leftover from a couple days back. And finally I got some tofu and rice for supper.

Tomorrow Wichita, and the Prouty for the team I left back in New Hampshire. More on that then.

July 12, 2019, El Dorado Kansas




No comments:

Post a Comment