Friday, July 19, 2019

Day 22: Clines Corner NM to Albuquerque NM

So I finally arrived - or almost. I am staying with my nephew who lives on the outskirts of town. I will make a final ride in to the hotel and conference site tomorrow.

Today was a short day (thankfully) that started early:
Clines Corner View from my tent at sunrise
The spot I camped in was very nice, but too close to the highway which meant lots of road noise. It was also high (about 7,000 feet) and cool. So I started the day with a sweatshirt, and as I descended it got even colder. Lots of downhill today though so I should not complain.
The beginning of the long descent
Both my brother David and my colleague Jeremy pointed out that the funny tail section of an aircraft I saw in Kansas was probably a wind turbine blade. Indeed I saw a few more of those (6 actually they travel in triplets). And managed to snap a picture today:

Windmill blade on the road in New Mexico
Curiously the have passed me in both directions. The from and to I can make little sense of. There are lots of roadside signs in New Mexico, most are pretty standard, but some stand out:

Got water?

Then finally, and very suddenly:

Albuquerque comes into view
So one last climb:
The road my nephew lives on
I had to get off and push for this one, and it was the first time I was really sweating all day.

So time to chill out:

On the swing at the end of the road
And play with my grand niece and nephew

Anna applying stickers
So tomorrow I don't need to wake up early, but I will post again.

July 19, 2019, Albuquerque New Mexico

1 comment: